Tuesday 28 August 2012

Space is the place

I've been meaning to post this song for a couple of months, and with the news that one of the original astro-heroes Neil Armstrong died this week, it's given me half an excuse...

I think I probably first heard it at the ace Da Doo Ron Ron club, and I had to email Chris the DJ the next day to find out what the hell that French femme version of Peter Thomas' Space Patrol was. When I eventually tracked it down it was every bit as good as I remembered, even away from the sweaty fug and blistering noise of a tiny backroom club.

So enjoy Commando Spatial, and when you next look up at the moon give Neil a wink, as his family has requested...



Virginie Rodin - Commando Spatial
[you can now buy this on the Femmes De Paris edition speciale box set]


And here's the original Peter Thomas Sound Orchester version - a retro-futurist wet dream...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool post, thanks also for the edwige ophelia track you donated to mordi's site, twas most kind... said track has been known to make grown men cry ! so really must thank you for that :)

also i'm really digging darker more melancholy french songs at the moment, stuff like
Michel Polnareff ~ Le Bal Des Laze
Barbara - L'Aigle Noir
Andre Popp - Ophelia
Véronique Sanson-Amoureuse
Catherine Lara - L'hiver

love to get some more ideas for that kinda thing

Sam

Dom said...

Thanks Sam, and no probs on sharing the Edwige track...
I'll have a think about some more melancholic tunes to post in the near future, in the meantime, I reckon you might enjoy the Ewa Swann tracks I posted recently.
cheers!