Thursday 17 December 2009

Is nothing sacred?

The other day I heard a song on the radio which bears an uncanny resemblance to Voila by Francoise Hardy. It was early morning, I was half asleep, but every now and then a snippet of that unmistakable piano line wafted out of the speakers, and sections of the chord progression sounded very familiar too.

It has taken me until today to look up what it is. Fucking Robbie Williams. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

He can't possibly get away with this can he? Yes, unfortunately he can. Being a payed up member of the PRS I was able to look up who is credited as a writer on the track. There on the database is HARDY, FRANCOISE MARIE AUBINE, though rather cheekily she's not actually been assigned a royalty percentage for having her song heavily sampled/ripped off. I imagine Robbie and his writers first heard Voila when it was used on a Horlicks advert - he's about that cultured.

Enjoy Francoise's original. Then suffer Nobbie's monstrosity if you must...






Right, I'm off to email Francoise to tell her. That'll show Nobbie.

1 comment:

Dom said...

er thanks for that, does that mean you are on Francoise's side or Robbie's side?